- Forrester Councils
- Councils Overview
- log in
Posted by Shar VanBoskirk on September 15, 2011
I’m currently working on a report around how to hire and retain good digital talent. So the CMO panel featuring Brian Lauber of OneAmerica, Jared Blank of Tommy Hilfiger, and Chris Krohn of Restaurant.com that addressed hiring and staffing was music to my ears. A few takeaways on how to nurture your digital employees:
*Create an emotional connection between employees and your brand. This helps to brand your company externally. OneAmerica CMO Brian Lauber finds that “Your employees are your best branding. He tells every single employee that they are the brand. “I tell them to look like it, act like it, talk like it.” Every day. In everything they do.
*Don’t rely on HR to do everything alone. Creating a strong digital organization isn’t just about having good recruiters. It’s about creating a culture that employees feel part of and proud of. And this lands on managers to create. Chris Krohn of Restaurant.com says his role has two primary components: 1) Make sure the marketing strategy is clear; 2) Make sure we have the right people doing the right things.
*Create benefits beyond financial compensation. Tommy Hilfiger employees get discounts off of clothes. And buyers of media and of clothes get 10% of their regular budgets to play with. “We want people who are passionate about clothes. And about our clothes. So we give them a reason to buy our things for themselves. And we make them accountable for 90% of their budget. The other 10% they can spend on whatever they think is cool.”
*Provide executive access. CMOs on the panel all agreed that digital talent likes to invent, likes to create things that have never been done before. And they like acknowledgement. Empower this by connecting them to the CEO. OneAmerica’s CEO talks to every single employee twice a year. And he schedules “coffee with the CEO” appointments where people can share ideas or complaints. Restaurant.com’s CEO began to delegate operational tasks so that he had more time for employee-relationship building.
What do you do to find and retain good digital talent? I’d love to include your best practices in my research.