Your customers are inundated with messages every day from friends or family, work colleagues, and marketers among others. Notifications from their banks, news organizations and fitness bands also land on their mobile phones. Let me show you the home screen of my iPhone.
A summary of my communication (or lack thereof) shows:
- 24,998 unread personal emails (okay, mostly from marketers)
- 4,937 unopened work emails
- 272 unopened SMS messages
- 45 unopened/read messages on WeChat (these are from marketers)
- 0 unread notifications from Facebook (and I average 23 per day)
- 0 unread notifications from Slack (and I average 87 per day)
I still use all of these communication channels, but I pay more attention to some of the channels than to others.
Here’s what is happening:
- My email inbox has been overrun by emails I no longer read or want.
- I continue to download new communication applications. Each time I do so, I am very selective about who I add into my new circle.
- I pay most attention to those applications that offer value to me in the form of entertainment or as in the case of Slack, collaboration with a very small group of trusted colleagues. These messages are extremely relevant to me – and personal.