Posted by Phil Murphy on December 16, 2010
What is the definition of an "application"? We are "applications development and delivery professionals" - surely we have this question nailed, don't we? The question keeps coming up in different contexts, and since there are many potential opinions, a blog is the perfect place to spur debate. Here are some (simplistic) questions to generate debate:
- Is a Web page an application?
- If not, how many Web pages does it take until I consider it an application - 10, 100, 1,000?
- Does size matter? (Please behave yourselves with this one.)
- Is the size of the code base a pertinent factor?
- What about SharePoint sites, Access databases, and spreadsheets? Are they applications?
- Where do COTS and packaged apps fit?
- Does the technology I use affect the definition?
- If I use a scripting language for a quick-and-dirty task, is that an application?
- Does SOA erode the definition of an application?
- Do we cease thinking about applications as entities and think about them more as containers that hold collections of SOA services?
- How does open source affect the definition?
- How does my role affect my perception of an application?
- Do developers and users use similar definitions?
I have my opinions - in fact I just finished a draft piece of research on it that will be published in January, but what are your opinions?
Search Forrester's Blogs
Free Mobile Mind Shift Webinar Series
Learn how to win your customers' mobile moments in this three-part series »
The Future Of Business Is Digital
Start your company’s digital transformation »
- Anjali Yakkundi (23)
- Boris Evelson (134)
- Claire Schooley (2)
- Clay Richardson (1)
- Diego Lo Giudice (14)
- Gene Cao (1)
- George Lawrie (17)
- Holger Kisker (38)
- James Staten (7)
- Jeffrey Hammond (26)
- John R. Rymer (45)
- Jost Hoppermann (32)
- Kate Leggett (111)
- Kurt Bittner (3)
- Kyle McNabb (12)
- Manish Bahl (2)
- Margo Visitacion (9)
- Mark Grannan (7)
- Martha Bennett (10)
- Michael Barnes (21)
- Michael Facemire (13)
- Mike Gualtieri (112)
- Noel Yuhanna (10)
- Paul Hamerman (2)
- Phil Murphy (22)
- Randy Heffner (15)
- Stephen Powers (20)