Posted by Phil Murphy on December 16, 2010
What is the definition of an "application"? We are "applications development and delivery professionals" - surely we have this question nailed, don't we? The question keeps coming up in different contexts, and since there are many potential opinions, a blog is the perfect place to spur debate. Here are some (simplistic) questions to generate debate:
- Is a Web page an application?
- If not, how many Web pages does it take until I consider it an application - 10, 100, 1,000?
- Does size matter? (Please behave yourselves with this one.)
- Is the size of the code base a pertinent factor?
- What about SharePoint sites, Access databases, and spreadsheets? Are they applications?
- Where do COTS and packaged apps fit?
- Does the technology I use affect the definition?
- If I use a scripting language for a quick-and-dirty task, is that an application?
- Does SOA erode the definition of an application?
- Do we cease thinking about applications as entities and think about them more as containers that hold collections of SOA services?
- How does open source affect the definition?
- How does my role affect my perception of an application?
- Do developers and users use similar definitions?
I have my opinions - in fact I just finished a draft piece of research on it that will be published in January, but what are your opinions?
Search Forrester's Blogs
Lead BT Transformation
Develop customer-obsessed strategies to drive growth »
Forrester's CX Index
Predict how actions to improve CX will affect revenue performance.
Measure the customer experiences that matter most »
- Anjali Yakkundi (28)
- Art Schoeller (2)
- Boris Evelson (147)
- Claire Schooley (2)
- Clay Richardson (1)
- Diego Lo Giudice (19)
- Dominique Whittaker (2)
- Gene Cao (1)
- George Lawrie (17)
- Holger Kisker (38)
- Ian Jacobs (8)
- Jeffrey Hammond (27)
- John M. Wargo (2)
- John R. Rymer (45)
- Jost Hoppermann (33)
- Kate Leggett (130)
- Kurt Bittner (4)
- Kyle McNabb (12)
- Leonard Couture (1)
- Margo Visitacion (9)
- Mark Grannan (9)
- Martha Bennett (12)
- Michael Barnes (21)
- Michael Facemire (15)
- Mike Gualtieri (115)
- Noel Yuhanna (10)
- Paul Hamerman (2)
- Phil Murphy (24)
- Philipp Karcher (1)
- Randy Heffner (15)
- Rowan Curran (1)
- Stephen Powers (23)
- Ted Schadler (12)