Posted by Luca Paderni on December 1, 2010
Last week, The New York Times broke the news that Google is launching a new eCommerce platform targeting fashion brands: Boutiques.com: http://nyti.ms/9DlCu. (Disclaimer: I worked for four and a half years at Google, but I was not involved in this project.)
The launch pushes the envelope of how technology can help consumers navigate and discover fashion products and trends by:
- Taking vertical search accuracy to the next level.
- Using social as a centerpiece of the experience, giving celebrities, fashion bloggers, and ultimately everybody the capability to create a "personal boutique" with the fashion items they love for all to have a peek.
- Taking advantage of the latest visual search technology that helps users in mixing and matching colors, patterns, and trends.
I think that the approach to product discovery of Boutiques.com is a very interesting development in eCommerce as well as for brand marketers. Why?
- Boutiques.com offers a much richer way for consumers to explore brands online by shifting the focus from product to the context in which the product will be ultimately used. I would expect Google to target notoriously difficult categories to contextualize like furniture and cars.
- Data, data, data . . . retail aggregators like Boutiques.com have the opportunity to develop unique insights on demand trends that many brands will be happy to pay for.
- As cross-brand navigation becomes an easier and rewarding experience, the current cornerstone of today’s brand digital presence — the Web site — will face increasing competition from innovative retail formats, and as a result, brands will need to develop a syndication strategy for their branded content across platforms.
Do you think that a good syndication strategy for branded content will help brands in managing the increasing fragmentation of their branded message both offline and online?
Search Forrester's Blogs
How Should Financial Institutions Embrace Mobile? »
Four Citizen-Driven Imperatives Governments Must Embrace »
- Christine Overby (33)
- David Truog (2)
- Emily Collins (1)
- James McQuivey (1)
- James Staten (1)
- Jennifer Wise (5)
- Jim Nail (23)
- Josh Bernoff (13)
- Kim Celestre (40)
- Laura Ramos (64)
- Lori Wizdo (1)
- Luca Paderni (9)
- Nate Elliott (101)
- Peter O'Neill (2)
- Richard Joyce (3)
- Rob Brosnan (1)
- Ryan Skinner (22)
- Shar VanBoskirk (111)
- Susan Bidel (3)
- Thomas Husson (111)
- Tina Moffett (1)
- Tracy Stokes (2)
- Xiaofeng Wang (13)