- log in
Posted by Julie Ask on April 27, 2009
Last week, the number of downloads to Apple's iPhones and iPod Touches finally topped one billion. That is an impressive number coming from approximately 30 million devices in the market.
The word "iPhone" in the title of any newspaper article or otherwise turns heads and sells. I would offer, however, that the impact of the iPhone and its potential have been under-hyped. I believe that the impact on the industry is comparable to that of SMS. May not seem that way today, but it will in the course of time.
Here is a partial list of what it has accomplished so far. Apple has:
- Taught carriers that they don't need to own the end customer experience to profit from those customers.
- Demonstrated that consumers will pay for an experience that is unique and extraordinary.
- Shown carriers that they do well serving the average customer, but aren't equipped to serve each segment best.
- Taught consumers how to download applications to their cell phones.
- Taught consumers that their cell phones could do more than voice calls or text messaging
- Created a platform and a business model that is truly compelling to developers.
- Taught US consumers what "3G" is and accelerated demand for it.
- Weren't afraid to leverage their existing 60+ million billing relationships
- Shown us we don't need "open" for a great consumer experience
- Have ever consumer brand in the country thinking they need an iPhone application
I look forward to 3.0 and its possibilities. I don't think enough is being said about what Apple has achieved.
Search Forrester's Blogs
Planning for innovation and risk in the wake of Brexit »
Forrester Insights for iPhone
Key research and data points when and where you need them »
Forrester's CX Index
Predict how actions to improve CX will affect revenue performance.
Measure the customer experiences that matter most »
- Andy Hoar (20)
- Aurelie L'Hostis (4)
- Benjamin Ensor (40)
- Brendan Miller (8)
- Brendan Witcher (4)
- Carrie Johnson (23)
- Catherine Graeber (1)
- Ellen Carney (32)
- Jacob Morgan (1)
- Julie Ask (152)
- Ken Calhoon (1)
- Lily Varon (11)
- Martin Gill (64)
- Michael Yamnitsky (1)
- Michelle Beeson (12)
- Oliwia Berdak (17)
- Patti Freeman Evans (26)
- Peter Sheldon (42)
- Peter Wannemacher (37)
- Vikram Sehgal (1)
- Xiaofeng Wang (1)
- Zhi-Ying Ng (7)
- Zia Daniell Wigder (82)