Posted by Henning Dransfeld on May 15, 2013
Mobile devices have cut the mustard as the first tool of choice against the PC. Despite their deficits, they are now poised to become the universal device many people will chose to work with. This trend, driven by end users, was predicted some time ago. But the displacement is happening faster than many anticipated and is now catching the PC manufacturers. One quarter of the world population already has a smartphone and Forrester expects this number to rise to over 40% in 2017*. And they have an impact on the business world. One third of business leaders expect that more than 75% of their employees use a smartphone regularly for work today, only 18% of them believe that the same is true for laptops**.
- to administrate and manage mobile devices inside of compliance guidelines and empower these devices to be used for every system needed by the employee.
- Virtualization of the desktop: deliver classic office applications out of the cloud via a browser based interface. Citrix and VM Ware are vendors offering these capabilities.
- Mobilisation of the most important workflows via mobile apps. The key to success is good usability, full integration with corporate backend systems and the right approach to data protection in an online and offline usage scenario.
- Mobile enterprise carriers including Vodafone and Orange are now starting to embrace productivity applications for the enterprise market
- Mobile enterprise integrators including T-Systems, Atos and Computacentre are now gearing up their offering to include virtual desktop services
- Network service providers are the most experienced in managing mobile devices including tarrifs, security, central application distribution and communication services.
- IT service providers are more experienced in taking you on the road from classic desktops to virtual interfaces accessed through smart devices.
In our forthcoming research, we will focus on the leading players and the first comprehensive services.
Search Forrester's Blogs
Free On-Demand and Live Events
Latest events from Forrester analysts, online and in person »
Free Webinar Series
The Top Emerging Technologies To Watch »