- log in
Posted by Charlie Dai on November 3, 2016
I’m pleased to announce that Forrester’s cloud computing predictions for 2017 published this morning!
Check out Predictions 2017: Customer-Obsessed Enterprises Launch Cloud’s Second Decade. Our cloud team has gathered 10 key developments in cloud computing that will shape this industry in 2017 — and what you should do about them today.
Cloud computing has been the most exciting and disruptive force in the tech market in the last decade, and it will continue to disrupt traditional computing models at least through 2020. Starting in 2017, large enterprises will move to cloud in a big way, and that will supercharge the market. We predict that the influx of enterprise dollars will push the global public cloud market to $236 billion in 2020, up from $146 billion in 2017.
Cloud platforms from the global megacloud providers like Amazon Web Services, Microsoft, IBM, Google, Salesforce, Oracle, CenturyLink, and SAP will set the pace, accelerating adoption of private cloud and hosted private cloud as well. In 2017, you need to:
- Get your private cloud and SaaS strategy in shape in 2017 — start now!
- Educate yourself about exciting developments in hyperconverged infrastructure, security, networking, and containers.
- Take a fresh look at your regional and industry-specific cloud providers — specialization is afoot.
In the full report, we break down the 10 things you need to know about cloud computing in 2017, and actions to take for each. This essential reading highlights these 10 trends:
- Beyond pay-per-use, cloud will save buyers money in many ways.
- Hyperconverged infrastructure will help private clouds get real.
- Size still matters, but the megaclouds won’t be your only option.
- Lift-and-shift tools will improve to make cloud migration easier.
- Hybrid cloud networking will remain the weak link in hybrid cloud.
- Enterprises will shun large, complex, and costly private cloud software suites.
- SaaS will move away from one-size-fits-all to regional and industry solutions.
- Chinese firms will be key drivers of global cloud evolution.
- Containers everywhere will shake up cloud platform and management strategies.
- Cloud service providers will design security into their offerings.
Our cloud predictions were written by our amazing cloud computing playbook team, including Dave Bartoletti, Lauren Nelson, Andras Cser, Sophia Vargas, William Martorelli, Liz Herbert, Andre Kindness, Paul Miller, myself, and Frank Liu. To learn more about what Forrester expects next year, download our free 2017 predictions guide that covers the top 15 dynamics that will shape the future in the age of the customer.
Search Forrester's Blogs
The dynamics that will shape the future in the age of the customer »
Planning for innovation and risk in the wake of Brexit »
Save Money On Your Next Software Negotiation
Work with our software negotiation experts to save 10–20% on your next contract »